Meet the boys!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Some fresh (and much needed) perspective


Sometimes there are moments when I miss the comforts of home – quick/easy food, Tim Horten’s coffee, power that is predictable, no rats, my family and friends.  But then I have moments like this – sitting at Red Chilli, taking some time to myself to reflect on everything that has happened since I got here, and appreciating all that I have here!  Even when things are challenging, or I don’t understand why things go like they do, God is always faithful.  He is always there to remind me that this (coming to Uganda, or The Sanctuary) isn’t about me, but it’s about Him.  Sometimes it is so easy to get caught up in the day to day happenings that you lose focus on what is really going on, and why you are where you are.

To be honest with you, the last month has been a challenge.   I think after a month of being here – I got comfortable.  I thought “God, don’t worry – I got this”, and lost sight of what was really important.   It was like I trusted God to get me here, and then I took charge.  The problem is, there isn’t a single thing I can do here without His help.  That has been the exciting and cool thing to watch as The Sanctuary grows.  None of us – board, staff, etc, especially me has any idea of what we’re doing.  We must trust God in the daily decisions that we make – because we are human, we make mistakes, but God doesn’t.  I completely believe that He called who he has to help with The Sanctuary because he knew that without a doubt, people would see us (the humans involved) and know that there is no way we could be doing what we’re doing without God being involved.  All the glory and the honor of anything involving The Sanctuary can only be given to God!  So, while I know this, coming back Uganda, I somehow forgot.  Not that I wasn’t praying, reading my bible, etc, but I wasn’t giving everything to God like I should have been.

So, I guess this goes to show that I am human.  And as many times as I can learn this lesson, apparently I need to keep learning it!  I pray that you will continue on with me through my journey, and hold me accountable to what God has called me to do (and not to do).  The cool thing about going through a difficult time is that you  draw closer to God.  When everything is going along fine, it’s easy to forget to bring things to the Lord, but when things are a challenge – we are forced to turn to Him to get us through it. 
So the next couple of posts will be trying to catch you up on some of the happenings during the last month.  Thanks to everyone for all your love and prayers and messages!  They continue to encourage me AND everyone at The Sanctuary!  Please continue to pray for us, that God will give us the wisdom and strength to continue to press forward, and for The Sanctuary to be a light in the darkness for all who come into contact with us.

Love, Mel
Johnson and his friend Noah!
Getting my hair done by my friend and neighbour Yvonne :)









Lemukol, Marvin and I going for a walk!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment